Who may do community service at the ReStore?
- Students needing hours for school
- Those with court-ordered hours from Cabarrus County
When can I do my hours/how do I start?
You MUST schedule your shifts in advance with ReStore Management, 704-786-4000
Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM. Shifts are:
- 9AM-1PM (no break)
- 1PM-5PM (no break)
- All day (1 hour lunch break)
- Saturday, 8AM-4PM (1 hour lunch break)
There are several lunch options nearby. There is a break room with a refrigerator and a microwave if you would like to pack a lunch.
Please note: Saturdays are the busiest days in the store and tend to fill up quickly. If you schedule a Saturday and do not show up without calling, you will not be able to schedule another Saturday, and you will be removed from any future Saturdays you had scheduled.
What should I wear?
- Comfortable, casual clothes that you can work in and don't mind gtting dirty (jeans, athletic pants/shorts, etc.) Shorts must be at least mid-thigh in lenth - NO "short-shorts" or "booty shorts"
- Closed-toe, closed-heel shoes such as athletic trainers or work boots. no ballet shoes, crocs, etc. (if you arrive with inappropriate footwear, you will not be premitted to work that day)
- Jacket/sweatshirt/raincoat - many tasks will require you to be outside, or in a backroom with open doors, so cold/rainy weather will be a factor
What CAN'T I wear?
- Loose hanging jewelry
- Hats/headwear, except for baseball caps or religious headwear
- Anything featuring offensive or explicit slogans/language/images
- Overly baggy clothing
- Clothing that interferes with your ability to work, including items that you don't want to get dirty or paint on
- Anything that allows your undergarments to show, ie low-rise pants, sheer shirts, etc.
What will I be doing?
Tasks vary day to day, but will usually consist of: general housekeeping (sweeping, cleaning up and organizing various departments, dusting, cleaning the breakroom and bathrooms, wiping the windows, etc.), sorting donations, pricing items, putting priced items on the floor, creating or breaking down displays, transporting large items to customers' cars, etc.
What should I do when I arrive to work?
- You must sign in upon arrival and ensure you sign out before you leave. If you don't sign out, the hours for that day will not count!
- If you arrive before the store is open to the public (10AM on weekdays, 9AM on Saturdays), knock on the front door to be let in.
- Perform the tasks that are assigned to you. Doing nothing, hanging out in the breakroom, leaving the store without signing out, etc., will result in either a) receiving no hours for the day or b) your dismissal from the site.
- Tell a manger upon arrival of your first day if you have any physical limitations that will affect your ability to perform particular assignments
- No swearing or inappropriate conversational topics. Should any inappropriate behavior occur, you will be told to leave immediately.
What is considered inappropriate behavior/grounds for dismissal?
- Defiance/refusal to perform requested tasks
- Confrontational behavior toward staff, volunteers, customers, or other performing community service
- Arguing/disputing number of hours accrued with staff
- Leaving site without signing out
- Neglecting or refusing to adhere to clothing requirements
- Talking on cell phone while working
- Hiding out/avoiding doing work
- Foul language/swearing and lewd or explicit conversations
Each Habitat Cabarrus ReStore volunteer must complete a Volunteer Waiver form prior to volunteering in order to participate with the affiliate in any capacity.
Waivers must be completed by a volunteer each year. You may download and complete this form and return to a Habitat Cabarrus ReStore supervisor during your first day of work. Waivers are also available to complete at the ReStore.